Skip to main content

World's On Fire




It’s not often that a song actually inspires me the way 'World's on Fire' does, but the reason for it is quite simple: this is a song about making a stand and letting your voice speak out. 'WoF' encourages you to ‘stand up, stand up’ and it’s interesting how that phrase is repeated, as if to try and punch through the wall of apathy and reluctance in which we have retreated. 

“Time is a price we can't afford” is a particularly poignant lyric because it’s so simple: we think we have it all mapped out, and then something happens and our plans are changed forever. It’s not just an exhortation to live by carpe diem (I believe the kids call it YOLO) - it’s also a reminder that if you have a chance to do the right thing, to stand up for what you believe, you’d better do it now because you just don’t know what’s in store. 

The chorus keeps asking, "do they know that the world’s on fire?", "do they know that it’s time?". Here you can almost sense the frustration of the narrating voice, thinking ‘what is wrong with these people? Why aren’t they doing anything? Don’t they know that this is might be their last chance to speak out?’ These are the same people who say “we've gone too far/we're on the edge/we're in too deep”- the ‘why bother, it won’t make any difference’ type of people. People who have already succumbed to apathy, seduced by life’s many dazzling tricks: “Are we distracted by the sun/the glittering jewels and the beating drums?” Look around you - it’s everywhere: people drugged by television (the new ‘opium of the people’), insatiably craving material goods, brainwashed by false prophets. 

I could go on but I don’t want you to all fall asleep. Beyond a line-by-line interpretation of the lyrics, this song, to me, means do something and do it now, even if that means sticking your head above the parapet, even if that means breaking your own rules sometimes, taking a risk or a leap of faith. Sometimes, deep down, you know what is right (“and a voice says please don't forget”) but you’re watching from a distance without getting involved. It’s beautiful, yes, but that pretty scene will dissolve in front of you if you don’t grab it with both hands and treasure it, nurture it and keep it safe. 

On a very personal note, I think this song really speaks to me because, as someone who has always been outspoken, I’ve had to learn, over the years, since childhood, that if you stick your neck out, you might lose your head. So unlike someone who struggle to find the courage to speak their mind, my problem is, how do I keep quiet? 

'World on Fire' is available on iTunes as part of the 'Stand Up, Stand Up' EP or directly from the Hanson.net store.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hanson Day 2019: a Recap

Registration To everyone’s surprise, registration opened before the event had even officially started, on Wednesday afternoon. I don’t know if that was planned, or if it was a last minute decision, but it was a good idea regardless. It’s obvious that more and more people are arriving to Tulsa earlier in the week, so it makes sense to try and register as many attendees as possible, as soon as possible. So by late afternoon on Wednesday I had my bracelet, my tickets and, most importantly, my EP. I’d lugged my trusted old MacBook Air and an external CD drive all the way across the Atlantic with the sole purpose of being able to listen to that EP straightaway so I headed back to my hotel room for a very exclusive Listening Party. ( Check out this blog again soon for a full review of the EP .) Storytellers Setlist This year’s Storytellers was effectively an acoustic show, centred around the Underneath album. It’s a golden combination for me, as I discovered the b

A BTTI 2017 Post-Mortem - Part 1: Dissecting the Shows

It was only going to be a ‘once in a lifetime’ experience: the solo sets had sold it to me, and besides, I’d never seen Hanson play with the full band. A one-off. Yes, it was only going to be a one-off. Well, that was 2015. On a grey and wet British New Year’s Day, I boarded a Jamaica-bound flight, ready to do it all again for the third time in 2017. Those who have read my blog posts from BTTI 2016 might remember that I wasn’t exactly awestruck by last year’s event: I’d found the shows lacking something, not to mention I'd been left seriously disappointed by Isaac’s solo set (for an Isaac ‘girl’, this is a serious matter). Aside from having fallen in love with Jamaica, I guess my mixed feelings about 2016 were part of the reason for wanting to go back: I had such fantastic memories of the 2015 shows in Cancun that I wanted another taste of that experience. I knew BTTI was more than a holiday with friends: it was a chance for me, as a European fan, to load up on Hanson conc

Is this In Real Life? A review of Hanson's 2019 Fan Club EP

I was in my hotel room in Tulsa when I first listened to the EP. I’d ferried my trusted seven year old MacBook Air all across the Atlantic, complete with an equally old and battered external CD drive, with the sole purpose of ripping that CD the moment it was in my hands and listening to it in religious contemplation. Compromise The first song in the EP, "Compromise" starts with a piano and guitar intro, and instantly puts me in a state of acoustic bliss that reaches its nirvana as Isaac’s voice comes on some twenty seconds later. Before you can scream ‘Isaac lead’,  Zac takes over vocals on the second verse,  with the final part going to Taylor. After my initial split second of disappointment, it made complete sense: it’s a song about compromise, shared among the three brothers and layered with their trademark harmonies in between each verse. What is that if not a perfect example of musical compromise? Thematically, my first thought was that the lyr